When making a Medicare claim on behalf of a patient under the age of 16, a Head of Family must be nominated as claimant. The Head of Family is responsible for the payment of an invoice billed for a patient under the age of 16, and the rebate will be transferred to the claimant, not the patient.
Follow these steps to Make a Family Member "Head of Family" within the Patient Record:
- Open the Child's Patient Record
- Select the patients Details tab
- Click Family (above the patient address)
- Click the + icon to add a family member
- Type in the Name to search for the patient (Head of Family Members can only be found if listed as a patient in MediRecords)
- Select the Relationship
- Click the Is Head of Family tick-box
- Click OK
- Click Save to apply the changes
- The selected patient is now listed as "Head of Family" within the patient record
NOTE: You do not need to repeat the process from the parent or carer's profile
Now a Head of Family has been registered, you can bill to them on behalf of the child.
Note: Patients who are designated as the Head of Family can also view any patient record that has them listed as Head of Family through the MediRecords Patient App.