In a Medical Emergency, you can override any restrictions which a patient has applied to their My Health Record. This access is recorded and may be audited. The patient is also notified. Emergency Access bypasses the requirement to provide an Access code.
Follow these steps to gain access to a patient's My Health Record in an emergency:
*Note: My Health Record emergency access is regularly audited by the My Health Record system operator, and providers who access records outside of an emergency situation may be criminally prosecuted.
- Log into MediRecords >select Patient
- Select Clinical Tab
- Click the MHR Icon to open the Access Code form
- Click the Emergency Access button so that it becomes a Tick
- Click Reason and select a reason from the list
- Click Gain Access
- The MHR Icon will turn green and you will have access the documents contained within My Health Record