This article will cover the basics of instant chat - how to create new chat sessions with users at your practice, how to invite community members into chat, how to identify unread messages, and how to understand message notification pop-ups that appear at the bottom of your browser.
Home Page Chat Window
Instant chat is most commonly used from within the Home Page in MediRecords. The Chat module is next to the Notice Board, and contains a full list of all of your chat threads. The counter represents the number of unread chats you have in your message box.
Whenever you start a new chat session with a user, a new chat thread is created. MediRecords stores a full history of your chat threads on the Home Page. You can navigate your historical chat threads by scrolling.
Search Chat Messages
1. To search for a message, click the Search-box and type in a Keyword from the message you are looking for. You can also use keywords from the patient name to search for messages where a patient file was flagged in the message.
2. Press Enter and the system will display a list of the closest matches.
Filter Chat Messages
To filter the list of messages, click Filter to reveal a drop-down list and select one or more filters under Status and Period.
Chat Message Notifications
When you receive a new chat message from another user, you will receive a pop-up notification in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
You can click on the message to view it right away, or you can return to the Home Page where it will be saved in your chat threads as an Unread message.
To help you keep track of the number of unread messages you have, MediRecords uses an Unread Message Counter on both the Home Page tab, and on the Chat icon on the Home Page.
The message counter is live, and will automatically increase as you receive new chat messages. You do not need to refresh the page to check if another user has sent you a chat message.
Creating New Messages
1. To create a new chat message, click New.
In the new chat form, you can choose to send a message to Users, a member of the MediRecords Community or a predefined Chat Group at your practice.
*NOTE: To send a message to a Community member, your user profile must be published and shared with the MediRecords community.
Interested in knowing more about the community? Check out our video overview on Vimeo, called Welcome to the MediRecords Community.
In the example below, a message is being sent to another MediRecords user.
2. Click Search User and type in the first three letters of the user's name to display a list of the closest matches. Click to select the name of the user that you want to chat with.
Multiple users can be included in a chat message, allowing you to chat together as a group. Additional users can be added to the chat message using the same search and select process.
3. At this point you could flag a patient name in the message, to let the recipient know which patient the message relates to.
4. Chat messages are flagged as Low Priority by default. To change the priority, click the Down Arrow and select either Low, Medium, or High priority.
5. Click the Text-box and type in your message.
*Note: Chat messages are restricted to a maximum of 500 characters.
6. Click Send to initiate a chat session with the selected user/s.
Responding to Chat Messages
When you receive a new chat message, or a response via an existing chat thread, it will be flagged with a Green Dot next to it, indicating that it is Unread.
1. To respond to a chat message, hover your mouse over the message until your cursor becomes a Finger Pointer, and then click to open the message.
Individual chat threads have a message box at the top, and a full history of the chat thread is stored below the message.
2. To write a response, click the Text-box and type in a message.
3. Press Enter, or click Send to send the message.
4. The sent message will then appear in the chat thread below.
Deleting Chat Messages
To delete a message that you have sent, click the Bin Icon to permanently delete the message from the thread.
*Note: You can only delete messages you have sent, not messages sent by other users.
The message will immediately be deleted from the thread, and will no longer be visible to any user, either in the chat thread, or on the Chat section of the Home page.
Exiting a Chat Message Thread
To exit a chat thread, click Back to return to the list of messages.
You've completed another MediRecords Tutorial. You should now be able to use chat to send and receive instant messages. If this is not what you're looking for, head back to our knowledge base and search for another article.
For urgent assistance, please contact MediRecords support on 1300 103 903 during business hours.